Cut along the dotted line.

Friday, April 25, 2008

about microwaves...

So, about microwaves. You know the ones that have the dial to set the time and markers around it in 10 second increments? I have one both at home and at work. And for some reason I always set it between the markers. I guess it feels less committal, like I can take my food out earlier, because it started at a random time anyway. I don't have to follow through with a strict 2 minutes of heating. I set it to 1:57 dammit, so there was no promise that it wouldn't end at an equally arbitrary time. What I'm trying to get at here is, could this be a shadow of other facets of life? Maybe I say I'll meet friends at arbitrary times too, so it doesn't feel as structured. This probably drives them crazy. No, I do not see my friends as microwaves. They are infinitely more important, despite the fact that they cannot warm leftover Chinese food without it getting awkward.So I guess this is to say there's a legitimate reason why I am sometimes terrible at planning. I think in terms of numbers that ultimately don't matter. If I am late for an appointment with you, I'm sorry. It's only because I promised the microwave I would see our journey through to the bitter end.

No comments: